Journey (Wisdom for the Way) – Packing for the JourneyWritten by admin on Jun 05, 2019 in - No Comments
We know how to pack for a trip, but how do we pack for our journey with God? Looking at the story of Ruth, Abby explores three hindrances that can keep us from moving forward in our journey with God, and she suggests three things that will be helpful to pack for the adventure.
Sermon Discussion Questions
Ruth 1:6 – 19 (Abby’s sermon, 6/2/19)
- Reading the first chapter of Ruth, what are some of the things Ruth had to leave behind in order to accompany Naomi, her mother-in-law, to Israel? Have you ever had to give up something in order to gain something?
- God is always inviting us into something, Abby argued. Do you agree? Have you ever experienced God inviting you into something? What was it like? How did you know it was God?
- In modern American culture, we often shape our identities around our roles, work, & accomplishments, but as believers, we are more than our roles, work, & accomplishments: we are children of God. How might over-identifying with our roles, work, or accomplishments hinder us from moving forward in what God has for us?
- We are masters at limiting God, Abby argued. What are ways in which you have witnessed other believers limiting God, or putting him in a box? What are some ways you have limited God or put him in a box?
- Reading the stories of those who have gone before us and how they navigated their journeys can shed light on our path. Abby shared the stories of two of her heroes: St. Francis of Assisi and Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Whose stories shed light on your path? How have their stories influenced your life, your perspective, or your faith?